The Centre holds an important but eclectic collection of South and Southeast Asian official publications, dating from the late 19th century to the 21st century, the majority however being published in the 20th century. A few series have been collected fairly comprehensively over time, but many titles have been received spasmodically by donation.
An overview of paper holdings follows, giving classmarks, but please check the Library catalogue for full coverage of titles held. Classmarks have the prefix ‘G’ and should be requested from a member of staff.
We also hold a significant collection of official publications published on microfilm and microfiche, including copies of many India Office Records, and records from the US State Department and the CIA. For details of these, please click here.
- British Parliamentary Papers: Colonies East India, sessions 1805-13 and 1831-32. G(41):930
- Census of India reports G(54):31 – excellent runs for 1901, 1911 and 1931, but very poor for 1921, 1941, 1961, 1971, 1981 and 1991.
- Statistical abstract, 1916/17-1992. G(54):31
- India: a reference annual, 1955-2002. G(540):05
- Economic Survey of India, 1957/8-2009. G(540):338
- Reports from the Commission for Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes, 1952-85/6, and the Commissioner for Linguistic Minorities, 1972/3-1984/5. G(540):397
- 1st – 10th Five year plans, G (540):338.984.3
- Investors India Yearbook, 1926-1972. G(540):332.67
- Bulletin of the Reserve Bank of India, 1965-1982. G(540):332
- Report on Currency and Finance, 1948/9-1997/8. G(540):332
- Pocketbook of Labour Statistics, 1967-1998. G(540):31
- Papers relating to Energy Survey, early 1960s. G(540):615
- Report of the Irrigation Commission, 1976, (4 v.). G(540):628.1
- National Commission on Agriculture. Report, 1976, (15 v.). G(54):63
- State of the Indian Farmer: a millennium study, (27 v. + CD-ROM). (540):63
- Education in India, 1976/77–1979/80. G(540):37
- Jinnah papers. (549):046
- National register of private records / National Archives of India and the Guide to the records in the National Archives of India (multivolume works), G(540):930
- Calendar of Persian correspondence 1759-1785. G(541):930
- Selections from the Nagpur Residency records. G(543):091
- Poona Residency correspondence. G(547):091 G
- Selections from the revenue records of the North-West Provinces 1818-20. G(545):353
- Bengal District Records and West Bengal District Records. G(541):930
- Gazetteers for Bengal, G(541.2):03, Madras G(548.1):03, Maharashtra G(547.1):91:03, Mysore G(548.21):91:03
- Eighteen fifty-seven, by Surendra Nath Sen, 1957. G(54):323.27
- Nana Saheb Peshwa and the fight for freedom / Anand Swarup Misra, 1961. G(54):323.27
- History of the freedom movement in Karnataka. G(548):325.48
- Freedom struggle in Uttar Pradesh. G(545.8):325.48
- U.P. Labour code (pt.1-6). G(545.8):331.16
- Hyderabad Government Bulletin on Economic Affairs 1947-54. G(548.4):33
- Rural economic enquiries in the Hyderabad state 1949-51. G(548.4):338.922
- History of indigenous education in the Punjab by G.W. Leitner. G(545):37
- The Punjab and the war, compiled by M.S.Leigh. G(545):355
- Five year plans – Bombay G(547.1):338.984.3, Mysore G(548.21):338.984.3
- Pakistan yearbook, 1969-2005. G(549):05
- Pakistan statistical yearbook, 1967-2009. G(549):31
- Economic survey, 1961-2009. G(549):338
- Five year plans. G(549):338.984.3
- Foreign trade statistics. G(549):382
- Labour force survey. G(549):331
- Bangladesh Economic Survey. G(541.37):338
- Bangladesh Statistical Yearbook. G(541.37):31
- Bangladesh 1st-5th Five year plans. G(541.37):338.984.3
Sri Lanka: highlights
- Documents of the Ceylon National Congress and nationalist politics in Ceylon, 1929-1950. G(548.7):093.2
- Education in Ceylon. G(548.7):37
- Economic survey of Singapore, 1979-2001. G(594):338
- Five year plans for Malaysia – 1st-8th. G(595):338:984.3
- Papers on Malay subjects. G(595.1):308
- Changing economy in Indonesia, (16 v.). G(596):330.11
- Committee for the Coordination of Investigations of the Lower Mekong Basin. Reports 1964,1966-8,1971-5,1977. G(593):627
- University of Cambridge users may link to the House of Commons Parliamentary Papers online. Many of these papers relate to the East India Company, India, Nepal, Sikkim, Ceylon, Burma or Afghanistan, and access is via eresources@Cambridge. Browse by 19th and 20th century subject headings, or search by keywords and narrow your search by document type and date. You can link to the full text of documents where your search terms will be highlighted.
- Official Publications Online – online access to British official publications, including those relating to South or Southeast Asia (available within the University of Cambridge, access via eresources@Cambridge)
- The Royal Commonwealth Society (RCS) collections in Cambridge University Library hold significant runs of official publications, published both locally (in the colonies) and in London, which may be consulted in the Rare Books Reading Room. Please refer to our Southeast Asian official publications collection guide for advice on how best to search for these.
- Cambridge University Library also has an extensive Indian official publications collection. This print collection, formerly part of the Official Publications Department, may now be accessed in the Rare Books Reading Room.
- A guide to official publications from South and Southeast Asia in the British Library. Some of these have recently been made available online in Qatar Digital Library.
- Many official publications are also available online as part of the Digital South Asia Library (University of Chicago and Center for Research Libraries)
- For an overview of official publications in UK libraries consult South Asia through Official Eyes (Resources). This project website is no longer being updated.
Library staff are always pleased to help visitors with research enquiries, but cannot undertake extensive research on individual enquiries.